Hello, fellow anglers! This is Fishinglicenceusa, your trusted guide to all things fishing. Today, we’re diving into the updated 2023 prices for Virginia State Fishing Licenses. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a newbie, this guide will help you navigate the costs and requirements for fishing in the beautiful waters of Virginia.
Understanding the Costs
Virginia offers a variety of fishing licenses, each with its own set of fees. Here’s a breakdown of the most common licenses and their respective costs:
- Resident State Freshwater Fishing License (age 16 and older): $23
- Resident State Fresh/Saltwater Fishing: $39.50
- Resident Saltwater Fishing License: $17.50
- Resident 5-Day Freshwater Fishing: $14.00
- Resident 5-Day Fresh/Saltwater Fishing (5 consecutive days): $24.00
- Resident 10-Day Saltwater Fishing (10 consecutive days): $10.00
- Resident Tidal Boat Sport Fishing: $126.00
- Resident 65 and Over Annual Freshwater Fishing: $9.00
- Resident Trout Fishing (October 1–June 15): $23.00
Where to Purchase Your License
You can purchase your fishing license online at the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources website, in person at any license agent, or by phone at 866-721-6911.
Who Needs a License?
All residents aged 16 and older must have a state or county-wide freshwater fishing license. If you’re planning to fish for trout, you’ll also need a trout license. Fishing in national forests such as George Washington and Jefferson National Forests will require a National Forest Stamp.
Certain individuals are exempt from needing a fishing license. These include:
- Residents under the age of 16
- Landowners and their immediate family fishing within the boundaries of their land
- Tenants of landowners with written permission to fish in specified areas without a license
- Guests fishing in individually owned private ponds
- Non-residents under the age of 12
- Individuals who are legally blind
Renewing Your License
To renew your fishing license, visit your online portal on the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website, call customer service at 1-866-721-6911, or visit any of the licensed agents in the Commonwealth area.
Fishing in Virginia
Virginia offers a diverse range of fishing opportunities, from its 176,000 acres of public lakes to its 27,300 miles of fishable streams. The state is home to over 30 species of freshwater fish, making it a paradise for anglers.
Remember, the joy of fishing comes with the responsibility of following the rules. Always have your license with you and respect the local regulations.